Thursday, August 26, 2010

Dear Gabby answers student questions

Dear Gabby:
I am a student at Southwestern College and I have a problem that I need help with.  I have an instructor that I just do not get along with.  I am afraid that she is going to going to fail me.  Maybe I will just drop the class.  What is the best thing to do in this situation?
 
Gabby says: 
I am sorry to hear that you are not happy in your class!  Here at Southwestern College, we strive, to make you, the student, our first priority!  However, at times, the best thing to do is to face the issue rather than to run from it.  Here is what this means.  Instead of dropping the class, I would suggest that you talk with the instructor.  Tell her how you are feeling.  Ask for her help in being successful in the class.  It is likely that in your future job, you will encounter someone that you do not get along with or do not like.  You will need skills in problem solving to get you through this and future similar situations.  Even if you do not necessarily resolve all of your feelings about the instructor, it doesn’t mean you cannot be successful in the class.  You will truly get the grade you have earned.  Show up, do your work.  Be on time, and stay for the entire session. Be respectful and professional in your behavior.  Be the best you can be. See how you can turn this situation around to your benefit.  You will both be better for it in the end!  Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment